Post-Operative Home Care
After Oral Surgery Land O' Lakes FL
It is important to take care of your surgery site. Please follow these instructions:
- Bite on gauze for 30 minutes (one half-hour) to stop any bleeding. If bleeding continues, place another gauze and continue to apply pressure. A wet teabag can be applied if bleeding continues after you have used gauze unsuccessfully for 1 hour. If bleeding is excessive (dark red liquid continuously coming out of the surgery site), call the office or Dr. Edwards to be seen immediately. If for any reason you cannot reach us, go to your local emergency room.
- For at least 24 hours do not:
- Drink through a straw
- Consume alcohol, carbonated beverages (soda), or hot liquids
- Blow your nose
- Spit excessively
Any of these things may cause the blood clot over the surgery site to dislodge from the “socket” causing a “dry socket” and resulting in unnecessary pain. (Should this happen, call the office to see the doctor as soon as possible)
- Do maintain a soft diet for the remainder of the day – things like warm soup, fruit smoothies (remember NO straws), scrambled eggs, etc. Keep intake of sugary foods low to reduce the formation of bad bacteria that can interfere with healing.
- If your pain, discomfort, or bleeding continues or worsens, call the office for a re-examination.
- If you were given medications, take them according to the instructions. If you have pain medications at home, you may take them according to the instructions. If given antibiotics, take a probiotic supplement or eat a tablespoon of Greek-style yogurt 3 times a day for a week to replenish the “good bacteria” in your digestive system.
- After 24 hours, start rinsing gently with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon of salt to 1 cup of water) every 4 hours for seven days. Use the whole cup, one sip at a time.
- If any problems or questions do arise, please feel free to call the office at Land O' Lakes Oral, Maxillofacial & Implant Surgery Phone Number 813-528-8999 or Dr. Edwards’ mobile phone at (813) 362-1928.
Click here to download our Post-Operative Home Care Instructions.